1. Ubiquinol, the active form of CoQ10 is essential for cardiovascular health; in one study, patients suffering from advanced congestive heart failure had significantly improved heart function after supplementation with ubiquinol. It also acts as a powerful antioxidant to help protect cells from oxidative stress damage, and may play a role in preventing cancer and diabetes. Because the body’s ability to convert CoQ10 into ubiquinol diminishes with age, taking it as a supplement may be a better bet for people over the age of 40.
2. Krill Oil, made from Antarctic krill, which are tiny, shrimp-like crustaceans, and are rich in an oil that contains omega-3 fatty acids and astaxanthin, a red antioxidant pigment. It has a different chemical structure than most fish oils, and may be more easily absorbed by the body. Studies have shown that it can significantly reduce dysmenorrhea, premenstrual mood swings, and other symptoms of PMS. Another study found that 1 to 3 gm of krill oil per day, reduced LDL cholesterol by 34% and raised the good HDL cholesterol by 43% compared to a placebo.
3. Relora, a combination herbal formula made from phellodendron and magnolia plants. It lowers the effects of the body’s production of cortisol to reduce anxiety and stress. Relora also acts as a gentle muscle relaxant, and can combat mood swings, irritability, insomnia and depression. It may even help with weight loss by minimizing stress eating habits and regulating the body’s tendency to store fat in the presence of high cortisol levels which cause belly fat and fatigue.
4. Curcumin. Still big in the news because its a natural anti-inflammatory and studies show it can treat conditions such as: inflammatory bowel disease and rheumatoid arthritis, cystic fibrosis and may protect against Alzheimer’s and heart disease this way. New high dose formulations blend to increase the bioavailability and the addition of other anti-inflammatories like black pepper, garlic, saffron and ginger.
5. Green Foods. Designed as an easy and convenient way to add more greens to any diet, green food powders are very popular. New formulas are adding chia seeds and probiotics, berries, black cherry and superfruits like acai and goji which are powerful antioxidants/phytochemicals for the body. Its a great cell protector and toxin remover, helping aid the liver to flush itself a little easier.
I hope you look into these and give them a try for optimum health benefits!
Have a Healthy February! Linda Wolschlager, CNC/The Nutrition Advisor, LLC