Eating For Longevity Begins In The Kitchen

You may be eating only organic, antioxidant-rich foods, but if you cooked your food on the toxic surface of your stovetop in a carcinogenic no-stick pan at a high heat, you just might be doing more harm than good.

Cut the Grease Without the Toxins

When you have a stovetop with a buildup of baked-on grease, don’t turn to commercial oven and stovetop cleaners – that is like cleaning with poison.

Instead, try baking soda. Just sprinkle baking soda on your stovetop, let it sit for five minutes and then scour the surface with either steel wool or scrubber. For the stubborn spots that are difficult to remove, try spraying this mixture on: mix dishwashing liquid, borax, and warm water together; let it sit for 20 minutes, and then scour it. 

Microwave: May Not Be as Safe as We Hoped

We always think microwaves are an ingenious time-saving device and wonder how anyone ever lived without one, but the truth is that microwaves use super-fast particles to literally radiate the contents of water inside food and bring it to boil. Not only has microwave use been linked to causing infertility in men, but it also denatures many of the essential proteins in the food making them virtually indigestible. When you do use it, use the lower settings just to heat the foods. Or better yet, get a small toaster oven or steam oven and warm your foods. Take your time and warm up your food in a safe and healthy way.

Poisonous Pots and Pans

Are your pots and pans poisoning you? If you are using copper or aluminum cookware, they might be. These metals interact with heat and food, and leach into your diet; gradually these will accumulate in your body, sometimes reaching the point of toxicity. Toxic levels of aluminum have been linked to memory loss, headaches, indigestion, and brain disorders, including Alzheimer’s disease. High levels of copper can debilitate the immune system and enable cancer cells to proliferate.

After scouring with abrasives, even stainless steel can release small amounts of toxic metals like chromium and nickel. Nonstick pans – although convenient in the kitchen – contain Teflon, a plastic that in recent years has been linked to immune disorders and possible cancer conditions. Teflon is only used safely on low to medium heat temps. High heat has scientifically been tested to emit an odorless, colorless vapor that is considered a toxin. The higher the heat, the more vaporous this chemical becomes.

My suggestion is to use cookware with porcelain enamel coating or made of glass, cast iron, or lead-free, terra-cotta clay.

Bad News About Canned Goods Too

In today’s world, it is more important than ever to search out fresh food, as much for the health benefits of locally grown produce as for the health dangers presented by the alternative. Canned foods, though easier to use than cooking from scratch, are a threat to your health. The substance bisphenol A, used to line food cans, is classified as an endocrine disruptor, a compound that can act like a hormone when it enters the human system. Try to look for companies that use a protective lining in their cans, or use glass jarred products as much as possible instead. Scientists have discovered that exposure to bisphenol A can contribute to endocrine disorders, breast cancer, cystic ovaries, and endometriosis.

naturalnutritionadvisor@gmail.com

Be Sociable, Share!

Related posts:

Love this post? Buy us a coffee to celebrate!

Comments

  1. Lovely thank you for the info. A Very nice piece of writing.

    • Thanks so much for your lovely comment on my article seen on AskInYourFace.com. Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I had forgotten to check on my Comments! thanks again and if you have any requests for article topics, feel free to email directly at my email address from my website. Sincerely, Linda, The Nutrition Advisor

  2. Hi Linda — I applaud the idea of creating a safer home, and because there’s so much misinformation out there about Teflon, I’m not surprised that you are concerned. I’m a representative of DuPont though, and hope you’ll let me share some information with you and your readers, so that everyone can make truly informed decisions.

    In regards to PFOA and cancer — The weight of evidence gathered from a number of significant health studies continues to indicate to us that there is no health risk to the general public from exposure to PFOA. Additionally, no authoritative body has designated PFOA as a human carcinogen. The U.S. EPA stated that it is premature to conclude that PFOA causes cancer. For more information, please visit http://www.epa.gov/oppt/pfoa/pubs/pfoarisk.html.http://www.teflon.com/Teflon/teflonissafe and http://www.pfoa.dupont.com can provide you with additional information.

    • Thanks for your comment to my article seen on AskInYourFace.com. I appreciate what you are saying, but prefer to be more mindful of studies that have not been funded by your own company and are not even partnered with the FDA, government or DuPont. I prefer those from privately funded and scientifically proven agencies that are studying effects for the good and welfare of the American people due to legitimate health problems like chemicals that are found in our blood through blood testing, or diseases of the lungs, immune system and lymphatic system. Sincerely, Linda Wolschlager

Speak Your Mind

*