Earlier this year, the Nordstrom Restaurant Division made the switch to cage-free eggs in Nordstrom restaurants and specialty coffee bars. Below, Corporate Chef Michael Northern and National Director of Restaurants Vincent Rossetti share their thoughts about the change and the reasons behind it.
The Restaurant Division began testing cage-free eggs in multiple units during 2009 with a firm commitment to exclusively source cage-free eggs for all Restaurant and Specialty Coffee operations by the first quarter of 2010.
There were several factors driving our commitment to use cage-free eggs. Put simply, it was the right thing to do. All animals deserve to be treated with respect and we can all do our part to communicate this message to farmers and manufacturers with the ingredients we choose to purchase. Ultimately, we think humanely raised food tastes better and we think you’ll think so too. We also try to source our eggs locally, supporting local farmers and economies. This means a smaller carbon footprint and fresher, better tasting eggs for our customers.
Making the change to cage-free eggs perfectly reflects the integrity of the food we like to purchase and prepare. Consumers are becoming more aware of where the food they eat comes from and want sustainable and humanely raised options. This makes ingredients such as cage-free eggs more available. The Restaurant Division was willing to spend more money in support of a cause we believe in while continuing to provide great food at a great value.
Since 2009, we’ve included a “We Care” statement on the backs of newly printed menus to communicate initiatives such as using cage-free eggs to our customers. Our cashiers and servers also inform guests of our efforts in making humane and responsible purchasing decisions. The statement reads as follows:
That’s why we’re committed to bringing you local, sustainable, natural and organic foods and environmentally friendly products.
- milk that’s free from rBGH
- cage-free eggs
- organic produce items including baby lettuce, baby spinach, arugula and tomatoes, locally sourced when in season
- organic iced tea
- products that are free from hydrogenated and partially-hydrogenated fats or oils
Plus we’ve committed ourselves to the reduce, reuse and recycle philosophy by incorporating major changes in all of our restaurants and specialty coffee bars. These changes range from:
- full composting and recycling programs
- compostable, recyclable and biodegradable Nordstrom water bottles
- 100% compostable and biodegradable hot paper cups
- napkins from paper made with 100% post-consumer waste, free from bleach and dyes
- carry out packaging made with 100% recycled paperboard
- even the menu you are holding is part of the solution…the paper is generated with at least 30% post-consumer waste