Cats have what’s called anaerobic bacteria and they transfer this through their bite. It’s extremely dangerous; this is a bacteria that survives and multiples without oxygen. Cats’ teeth are tiny and sharp; they bite and the puncture seals and you have bacteria trapped in your blood stream. Many people think that if they don’t see a lot of blood that it wasn’t much of a bite. This is not true! The bacterium that is now trapped in the body multiplies 1000 times every 30 minutes. Yikes!
Dr. Richard H. Polsky, certified animal behaviorist in Los Angeles, has numerous dangerous cat bite stories, being an expert testifier in court for cat bite disputes that have caused people to be hospitalized. “Although it’s not as massive and visible as many dog maulings, they’re very serious”, he said. “I’ve seen people in the hospital close to fatality.”
If a cat bites you, what do you do? First, cleanse the wound immediately, using anti-bacterial soap. Then sterilize it with a Betadine solution. This is surgical soap and it kills almost everything. It’s available at drug stores. Next, soak in Epsom salts or peroxide with warm water. All these measures will get it as clean as possible.
If, in two to 12 hours, you have increasing pain, redness or swelling, get to a doctor immediately. It’s possible that you will need antibiotics. Don’t wait because oral antibiotics are only so strong and waiting too long could mean needing IV antibiotics —a stay at the hospital.
A cat bites one of 170 people in the U.S. each year. Don’t have one of your children or you be part of that statistic.