Most of us love to dance. We just don’t want anyone to see us do it.
Dancing is an outrageous, feel good way to let loose, lift your mood, and burn the daylights out of your butt, belly and thighs. In fact, dancing can burn as many calories as power walking, biking and swimming. As with any workout, however, the weight loss benefits depend on several factors, including the frequency and duration of your workouts and your exertion level.
Here are some other benefits:
1. Dancing can improve flexibility. Dancers must strive to achieve a full range of motion for every major muscle group. The greater the range of motion, the more muscles can flex and extend. So, bend, extend and stretch your body as much as possible while you dance. You will naturally become more flexible that way.
2. Dancing can make you stronger. Strength is defined as the ability to exert a force against resistance. Dancing builds strength by forcing the muscles to resist against a dancer’s own body weight. Consider jumping and leaping across the room to achieve tremendous strength gains of the major leg and butt muscles and to build bone density.
3. Dancing increases endurance. Endurance is the ability of muscles to work hard for increasingly longer periods of time without fatigue. Vigorous dancing will elevate your heart rate, which can improve your stamina.
4. Dancing with others is a great way to socialize and stay connected with people. Consider signing up for a dance class.
Dancing makes us feel happy, energized and youthful, and can improve your overall sense of well-being…So, Get Your Dance On!
Pick your top ten favorite dance songs and download them onto your iPod. (If you can’t handle the iPod thing, either go online or to a store to buy some premixed dance music, or tune into your favorite radio station for some great top 40 hits.)
1. Dance with your boyfriend or hubby. Turn up the music, Ladies. Grab your man off the couch and make him move with you. Bend over and shake your butt in his face. I’ll bet if you add a few bumps and grinds, he will happily dance around the room with you.
2.On Saturday mornings, a small group of women come to my house for a workout. More often than not, we unexpectedly break out into our version of American BandStand, laughing and dancing our little hearts out. This gives us a serious endorphin high. And, honestly, I think we sweat more during 20 to 30 minutes of dancing than during any other workout. It’s definitely more fun, because what is more enjoyable than going totally nuts with girlfriends? Not much! My point is this: get a few girlfriends together and just dance. Go to a Zumba, Belly Dancing or Strip Tease Dance class. Friday nights at the club works well, too.
3.During your cardio workout, get off the machine for a few different 3- to 5-minute dance intervals. Turn up the music and let it all go! I promise this will be a great workout and a lot of fun!
4.Put on some comfy clothes or maybe some Flash Dance attire from the 80s. Give yourself a lot of space. Dance non-stop for 30 minutes or longer. Be anyone you want to be…just dance!
Have a great time dancing! Allison